The cobbled main street of Beisan around 1920, with stone shopfronts, market awnings and townspeople, as water is sluiced across the paving from an open gutter

Beisan (Bisan), Palestine: History of Scythopolis and Its Linen Trade

The cobbled main street of Beisan around 1920, with stone shopfronts, market awnings and townspeople, as water is sluiced across the paving from an open gutter
The main street of Beisan being watered down from the open gutter, photographed around 1920. Photo: Matson Collection, Library of Congress, public domain.

Rome paid more for cloth woven in Beisan than for cloth woven almost anywhere else in the empire. The town the Greeks and Romans called Scythopolis is Bisan (بيسان) in Arabic, and Beisan, Palestine sits in the Jordan Valley roughly 120 metres below sea level, on ground that has been lived on since the sixth millennium BCE. Its weavers were already famous when the emperor Diocletian fixed maximum prices across the empire in 301 CE and placed their linen in the top class. That textile record is the part of the town's history the ruins do not show, and it is the part that matters most to the tradition Palestinian heritage clothing comes out of.

TL;DR

Beisan, known in Arabic as Bisan and in antiquity as Beth-Shean and Scythopolis, is a Jordan Valley town about 120 metres below sea level. Settlement on its mound, Tell el-Husn, goes back to the sixth and fifth millennia BCE. Egypt ran a provincial headquarters there from the fifteenth century BCE and left behind basalt victory stelae of Seti I. Under Rome it was the leading city of the Decapolis and the only member west of the Jordan, with a theatre seating about 7,000 and a linen industry named in Diocletian's Edict of 301 CE. The earthquake of 749 ended its ancient prosperity. In 1945 the Palestinian town numbered 5,720 people and was the capital of the Beisan sub-district. It was depopulated on 12 May 1948.

Where Is Beisan and What Was It Called?

Beisan stands at the junction of the Jordan Valley and the Jezreel plain, where the Harod stream comes down to meet the Jordan. The position is the whole explanation for the town. Anyone moving between the coast and Transjordan, or north and south along the rift, had to pass it, and whoever held the mound above it controlled that traffic.

The name has been remarkably stable. The Canaanite Beth-Shean became the Greek Nysa-Scythopolis after Antiochus IV renamed it for the birthplace of Dionysus, and then reverted to its Semitic form as Baysan or Bisan after the Muslim conquest in 634. Palestinians have called it Bisan ever since. The town on the site today carries the Hebrew name Beit She'an.

Elevation shaped daily life as much as geography did. At roughly 120 metres below sea level the valley is hot, well watered from the Harod and the Jordan, and unusually fertile, which is why the medieval geographers wrote about its palms and its irrigated crops rather than its stone.

Six Thousand Years on Tell el-Husn

A wide view of the town of Beisan spread below its ancient mound, with the mountains of Gilead across the Jordan Valley in the distance
Beisan below its mound, with the hills across the Jordan beyond, photographed by the American Colony between 1898 and 1914. Photo: Matson Collection, Library of Congress, public domain.

The mound is called Tell el-Husn, the castle hill, and it is one of the deepest archaeological sequences in Palestine. Occupation begins in the late Neolithic or early Chalcolithic periods, in the sixth to fifth millennia BCE, and continues in layer after layer without a long break. Only Jericho, further down the same valley, carries a longer record of continuous settlement.

After Thutmose III took the region in the fifteenth century BCE, the small town on the summit became the seat of Egyptian administration in the north of the country. That is an unusual thing for a Palestinian town to be able to say. For roughly three centuries the mound held an Egyptian garrison and governor's residence, and the excavators of the 1920s pulled its administrative furniture straight out of the ground.

The basalt victory stela of the pharaoh Seti I found at Beisan, carved with a winged sun disc, standing figures and columns of hieroglyphic text
The first victory stela of Seti I, dated to about 1294 BCE, raised at the Egyptian fortress at Beisan. Photo: Wikimedia Commons, CC0.

Two basalt stelae of Seti I came out of the tell, the first of them dated to about 1294 BCE, alongside a later stela of Ramesses II. They were raised to record Egyptian campaigns in the region, and they are the reason a small Jordan Valley town appears in pharaonic inscriptions at all. The stones were lifted, catalogued and eventually displayed in the Palestine Government Museum in Jerusalem.

Scythopolis: The Linen City of the Decapolis

Under Roman rule the town below the mound grew into the leading city of the Decapolis, and the only one of those cities west of the Jordan. It got the full imperial kit: a colonnaded main street, bathhouses, a basilica, an amphitheatre, and a theatre rebuilt at the end of the second century CE on the footprint of a first-century one. The theatre held about 7,000 people, which is a serious number for a town of this size and says something about how much money was moving through it.

The money came from cloth. The Jerusalem Talmud refers to the fine linen vestments that come from Beth Shean, and by late antiquity the city's woven goods were traded across the Roman world. When Diocletian issued his Edict on Maximum Prices in 301 CE to cap the cost of every important commodity in the empire, the linens of Scythopolis were entered in the highest class.

This deserves stating plainly, because it is usually left out. Before Palestine was known for its embroidery, one of its towns was a name brand in the ancient textile trade, and its reputation was for the quality of the weave rather than the decoration on it. The grammar of ornament that produced the stitched village patterns of tatreez was laid over an older industry that had been selling cloth to strangers for a thousand years.

By the sixth century the city had reached its largest extent, with a population estimated at about 40,000, spilling out past its earlier walls. Very few places in Palestine were that size at any point before the twentieth century.

Baysan After the Islamic Conquest

The city passed to Muslim rule in 634 and took back its Semitic name as Baysan. It sat within Jund al-Urdunn, the Jordan military district, and stayed a working provincial town rather than a capital. The tenth-century geographer al-Muqaddasi, writing in 985, described it as lying on the river with plentiful palms and abundant water, though the water was heavy to drink, and listed what it sold: indigo, rice, dates, and the grape syrup called dibs.

That inventory is worth reading twice. Indigo is a dye crop. Nine centuries after Diocletian, Baysan was still in the business of colouring and clothing people, which is exactly the sort of continuity that gets lost when a place is discussed only through its ruins.

Then, on 18 January 749, an earthquake levelled Umayyad Baysan. There were repairs and some new building afterwards, but the city never recovered its scale. The collapsed colonnades of the old street were left where they fell, and the settlement that carried on was a town rather than a metropolis. Its neighbour up the valley, Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee, took the same blow in the same hour.

The Ottoman Town and the Mandate Sub-District

The 1877 Palestine Exploration Fund survey plan of Beisan, showing Tell el-Husn, the ancient city walls, the theatre, the hippodrome and the modern village
Plan of Beisan and Scythopolis from the Palestine Exploration Fund Survey of Western Palestine, surveyed 1871 to 1877. Public domain.

The Palestine Exploration Fund surveyors who mapped the site between 1871 and 1877 drew exactly what was there: the tell, the line of the ancient walls, the theatre they marked as El Akbeil, a hippodrome, scattered columns, and a modern village clustered at the southern edge of all of it. A Palestinian town living on top of a Roman one, using its stone.

The town's fortunes turned again with the railway. A station opened at Beisan in 1904 on the Jezreel Valley line, connecting the town to Haifa on the coast and eastward toward the Hejaz network, and grain and produce from the valley moved out through it.

Then came the land question. The valley's best ground had been registered as jiftlik, the personal estate of Sultan Abdul Hamid II, and passed to the state when he was deposed. Under the Ghor Mudawwara Agreement of 19 November 1921, the British Mandate administration allowed the families already farming that land to register it in their own names against a nominal payment spread over fifteen years. Hundreds of thousands of dunums changed hands on paper, and Beisan became a town of smallholders with title deeds, which is a rarer thing in the Palestinian record than it sounds. Beisan was made the administrative centre of its own sub-district, with dozens of villages reporting into it.

Lesser-Known Facts About Beisan

  • The Roman theatre at Beisan seated roughly 7,000 people and remains the best preserved ancient theatre in the country.
  • Antiochus IV renamed the town Nysa after the mythical birthplace of Dionysus, a name that never displaced Scythopolis in common use.
  • Egypt administered northern Palestine from the summit of Tell el-Husn for roughly three centuries after the fifteenth century BCE.
  • Al-Muqaddasi's list of Baysan's produce in 985 includes indigo, a dye crop, alongside rice, dates and grape syrup.
  • A Crusader lordship called Bessan held the site, with a small moated fortress built southeast of the Roman theatre.
  • The 1945 sub-district of Beisan counted 16,660 Muslims, 7,590 Jews and 680 Christians.

What Happened to Beisan in 1948?

In 1945 the town of Beisan had a recorded population of 5,720, of whom about 5,180 were Palestinian. It was the capital of its sub-district, it had a railway station, a market, schools and a working agricultural hinterland, and it was one of the few Palestinian towns where a large share of the surrounding farmland was registered to the people who worked it.

It fell to Zionist forces three days before the British Mandate ended, and Palestine Open Maps records the town as depopulated on 12 May 1948. Its residents were moved out, most of them across the Jordan. Twenty-nine Palestinian towns and villages in the Beisan sub-district were depopulated in the same period, which is close to the whole of it. The place is recorded today as depopulated and appropriated, with a population of about 17,500 under a different name.

The Nakba displaced roughly 750,000 Palestinians and emptied more than 500 villages and towns. Beisan is one entry in that record, but it is an instructive one, because what was lost there was not a village of subsistence farmers. It was a market town with deeds, a station, a sub-district office, and six thousand years of receipts.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Beisan in Palestine?

Beisan lies in the Jordan Valley in the north of Palestine, where the Harod stream meets the Jordan River, roughly 120 metres below sea level. It sits at the crossing point between the Jezreel plain and the routes running north and south along the rift valley.

What was Beisan called in Roman times?

The Greeks and Romans called it Scythopolis, and for a period after Antiochus IV renamed it, Nysa-Scythopolis. It was the leading city of the Decapolis and the only one of those cities west of the Jordan River. The Canaanite name was Beth-Shean, and the Arabic name Bisan or Baysan returned after 634.

Why was Beisan famous for linen?

Its weavers produced fine linen that was traded across the Roman world. The Jerusalem Talmud refers to the fine linen vestments that come from Beth Shean, and Diocletian's Edict on Maximum Prices of 301 CE listed the city's woven goods in the highest price class, which is the ancient equivalent of a top grade.

What destroyed the ancient city of Scythopolis?

An earthquake on 18 January 749 brought down much of the Umayyad-era city. Some repair and rebuilding followed, but the settlement never returned to its Byzantine scale, and the fallen columns of its main street were left in place.

When was Beisan depopulated?

Beisan was depopulated on 12 May 1948, three days before the end of the British Mandate. Its Palestinian residents, about 5,180 people in the 1945 count, were displaced, most of them across the Jordan River. Twenty-nine towns and villages in the Beisan sub-district were emptied in the same period.

A Town That Kept Its Name in Arabic

Six thousand years of settlement produced a place with four names, and the one Palestinians use is the direct descendant of the oldest. Bisan carries the Canaanite Beth-Shean forward in Arabic. It outlasted Nysa, it outlasted Scythopolis, and it survived the earthquake that ended the city those Greek names belonged to. It is still the word a family from the valley gives when asked where they are from.

The linen is the detail that stays. A town in the Jordan Valley spent centuries selling cloth to people who had never been there, and the cloth was good enough that an emperor's price list had to account for it. That is a long way from a chest panel embroidered in a village outside Ramallah, and it is also the same instinct: a place putting its name into fabric and letting the fabric travel. The other thing families carried out in 1948 was smaller and made of iron, and the key kept from a locked house does the same work a deed does.

FALASTIN Key of Return t-shirt in beige from the Symbols of Palestine collection
The Key of Return t-shirt from FALASTIN. Photo: FALASTIN.

Written for FALASTIN by Jad Sahyoun, with the assistance of AI tools and checked against archaeological, geographical and Mandate-period records.

At FALASTIN, we aim to keep that heritage alive through our Symbols of Palestine collection.

100% of profits from FALASTIN are donated to the United Palestinian Appeal.

Back to blog

Leave a comment